Monday, September 14, 2009

Our Funny Trip to the Doctor for a Flu Shot

My daughter cracks me up.

A little background . . . my OB is pretty insistent that we all get the seasonal flu shot since we'll have a newborn soon and the flu seems to be hitting much earlier than usual this year. Joey and I will partake in the free flu shots from the school district, but they won't give them to children under 18.

So . . . I called last week to arrange for Bailey to have the flu mist this morning. After she got up, I told her that we were going to see Dr. Tana. She said "OK - my ear hurts." The last time we went to the doctor was several months ago due to an ear ache. Being the "creative" mother that I am, I said to try to prepare her . . . "When we get to the doctor, they are going to give you some medicine in your nose to make your ear feel better. I need to you to be very brave." She took it "hook, line, and sinker."

When we got to the office, she knew exactly where the exam rooms were, but told the nurse she needed to see how big she was first. The nurse (Julie) was really sweet and let Bailey get on the scale to take her weight. Then, Bailey led us all to the exam room.

She wanted to sit on the exam table all by herself and didn't even flinch when they gave her the flu mist. I was very proud. She got down from the table and said "Thank you Julie, my ear feels much better."

(I had to explain to Julie why she said that). We both cracked up. I think I'm going to be in trouble the next time Bailey has an ear ache - she'll be expecting medicine up her nose again!

What a funny way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment